Monday, March 8, 2010

Adoption

Every once in a while I will blog about adoption. Lately there have been so many negative views on adoption, I thought I would shed a bit of humor on it.

When our adoption journey began we were interviewed by our agency as a couple and then separately. It was in my individual interview that I really put my foot in my mouth. Our caseworker was asking me about college. I told her I went to college to become an elementary school teacher, but changed my mind during school. When she asked what made me change my mind, this was my reply... "I don't like other people's kids." My mouth then hung open, and I started back pedaling to explain that teaching school felt more like a daycare to me, than actual teaching. She replied, "This is a first for me. I have never heard that in an adoption interview before." Then we both started laughing. I took a breath before answering any more of her questions. At the time I was mortified, and when the interview was over I cried all the way home. But now, HA! It is hilarious!

3 comments:

Mary said...

That's funny- I'm sure she understood where you were coming from though!

LeMira said...

This story is hilarious! Put a smile on my face tonight.

Oh, and just wanted you to know that I added a link to your blog on my blog. Hopefully you'll get more looking!

Angela said...

That is soo funny! I pray that adoption comes soon for you two!
-Angela